Monday, January 12, 2009

Can You Say "Hematoma?"

I'm off today to take Jesse to the orthopedist to find out if his finger is healed enough for him to resume activities.  I hope so--now he and Christian can ride the ski bus to Mt. Spokane for boarding/skiing.  Poor kids.  We canceled their activities until further notice to keep the stress level down on the parents (read, chauffeurs) and they've been pretty bored.  Although Christian has become a yoga fan and Jesse is working out in the Y's weight room.

It seems like the complications from this surgery go on and on and on...  Went in for the ultrasound on Friday.  The radiologist was supposed to make sure there was no hernia and drain the fluid.  Oops.  Not fluid, blood.  It's called a hematoma and it's really fun if you say it with an Arnold Schwartzeneggar accent (kind of like in Kindergarten Cop when he says, "It's not a tumor.")  Then downstairs to the CT scan to make sure I wasn't bleeding anywhere.  They drained 100 cc's of blood (not all of it since the doc was worried that new blood would flow in and I'd end up in the hospital with a transfusion.)  It didn't hurt because most of my nerve endings in my belly are dead--a side effect of surgery, thank God, as I got a look at the needle.  Of course, I lived through 2 amnios, etc.

This weekend my incision became very red and inflamed like I had a sunburn.  It's in a really interesting pattern that Mickey says looks like a drawing of a penis and balls on my belly.  Just what I wanted.  According to Freud anyway.

Heading over to Cancer Care NW, after I get Jess back to school, to see what's up.  On the bright side, today is house cleaning day.  I get a clean house and don't have to do any work.  It's the little things in life, right?

No comments: